ALM Client Configuration
Provar uses an ALM library (OTAClient.dll) to upload and download project resources to and from ALM. This library needs to be registered before it can be used by Provar.
You will get errors when connecting to ALM if:
- The library hasn’t been registered or
- The version that’s been registered isn’t compatible with your ALM server.
Checking if OTAClient.dll has been registered
Open the Windows Registry Editor by typing “regedit” into the Windows search box. Accept the warning dialog.
Choose View -> Find from the main menu, enter “OTAClient.dll” and press Find Next.
If successful, it will show you the full path of the OTAClient.dll that has been registered. You should check that the path corresponds to the version of the ALM server that you are connecting to.
- If no matches are found then OTAClient is not registered.
Locating the OTAClient library
When you launch ALM via Internet Explorer, it installs its library at the following location:
[user home folder]\AppData\Local\HP\ALM-Client
NOTE: The AppData folder is a system folder and might not be visible. But typing it directly into the address bar will take you into the folder.
The ALM-Client folder contains a sub-folder for each version of ALM that you have connected to. Choose the one that corresponds to your ALM server.
If you don’t see the sub-folder for your version, then logging into ALM via Internet Explorer should create it for you.
The client sub-folders contains the OTAClient.dll file that needs to be registered. You can see the exact version of the library in the Details tab of the Properties dialog:
Registering the OTAClient library
- Type “cmd” into the Windows search box, right-click on the “Command Prompt” result and choose “Run as administrator”
- Enter the following command at the resulting command prompt:
regsvr32 [full path of ALM client folder]\OTAClient.dll
- You will see a confirmation dialog as follows:
- Locate the correct Client folder for your ALM version
- Run the regsvr32 command against its full path as described above
- Restart Provar and try to connect to ALM again.