We're here to help
What is a web service?
A Web Service can be defined in the following ways:
- A client server application or application component for communication
- A method of communication between two devices over network.
- A software system for interoperable machine to machine communication
- A collection of standards or protocols for exchanging information between two devices or application
Types of web services
There are mainly two types of web services.
- SOAP web services: SOAP stands for Simple Object Access Protocol. It is a XML-based protocol for accessing web services. SOAP is a W3C recommendation for communication between two applications.
- RESTful web services: REST stands for Representational State Transfer. REST is an architectural style not a protocol.
Web services testing with Provar
Provar’s Web Services APIs allow you to hit Salesforce Web Services from your Provar Test Cases using REST or SOAP requests. The response received from Salesforce Web Services is captured and parsed by Provar and available to test and report on.
Simply put, you must complete the following steps to enable Web Services testing from Provar:
- Create a REST or SOAP Connection in Provar to store the Web Service details
- Invoke the REST or SOAP Connection in your Test Case using a Web Connect Test Step
- Perform a REST Request or SOAP Request in your Test Case using a Web Request (HTTP/REST) or Web Service Request (SOAP) Test Step
Click the links above for detailed instructions on how to complete each of these steps, or read on for more details.
Web Service APIs (1.8.11 onwards)
As of Provar version 22.214.171.124, Provar supports Web Services testing through the following APIs in the API Palette:
- Web Connect: this API invokes a SOAP or REST Connection at the beginning of a Web Services Test Case. It is the equivalent of a Salesforce Connect Test Step for Web Services testing.
- Web Request (HTTP/REST) is an API used for making a REST Request. It has options for Resource URL, Request Header and HTTP Methods. This will support both Internal (Salesforce) as well external REST request.
- Web Service Request (SOAP) is an API used for making a SOAP Request. It will take the WSDL file from the SOAP Connection, unless a separate one is provided in the Test Step. This will support both Internal (Salesforce) as well external SOAP request.
Web Service APIs (pre-126.96.36.199)
Please note that, if you are using an earlier version of Provar (pre-188.8.131.52), you will see slightly different options in the Test Palette:
- Create Web Session [DEPRECATED]
- Web Request [DEPRECATED]
- REST Request: This API has been renamed to Web Request HTTP/REST for clarity.
- Web Service Request: this API has been renamed to Web Service Request SOAP for clarity.
If your Test Cases contain these deprecated APIs, they will continue to run, but the deprecated APIs will no longer be available via the API Palette. We recommend using the new APIs in future Test Cases once you upgrade to the new version. If you need any advice about how to maintain your older Test Cases going forward, please get in touch.